Followers

Sunday, May 1, 2011

What will you defend today?

I was listening to this song this evening on the way home: God Bless the USA. I know most of it by heart. I also have an immediate emotion when I hear this song because of how much I identify with it. The refrain is: I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I can't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me. And I'll gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today. There ain't no doubt I love this land. God Bless the USA!

Who doesn't get moved when they hear those lyrics?

We are not all in the position of defending our nation through service agencies, but don't we all have a duty to uphold and defend all that the USA stands for? All that our beautiful Constitution and Bill of Rights and the ideals and fundamentals that our nation was founded on are the very things that our service men and women spend their lives protecting. If I'm so moved to sing about my love of the USA, where is my "movement" to act on it? There's not a line in these lyrics I disagree with. Nothing I waver on...but in the day to day life, it's the idealism of "all men are created equal" and the dignity of the human race that we, as proud Americans, have failed to defend.

Just minutes prior to hearing this song I was sitting on the metro. My son and I had walked onto a car where a homeless man, with his neatly stacked cart (and very charming orange and white striped skateboard keeping it on rollers) stood against the opposite door. When I'd gotten on, all I could think was, what is this awful smell!? It was like someone had doused the train with cheap floral air freshener. I realized after we'd sat down, it was a mask for the naturally unpleasant smell of old urine and B.O.

As I sat next to my son and tried to smell the creme brulee off of my scented hand lotion (thank goodness it really smells like creme brulee!) so many things crystalized for me: 1. However I react will impact my son's future reaction to a homeless man with a stench in the future. 2. No one had bothered to look at this man, speak to him, or otherwise engage him as a living, breathing, human being. 3. This man could be the sweetest or the angriest person in the universe, but he deserves nothing of the indignity of being looked over and treated as a simple obstacle in the way.

Unfortunately, I cannot help my sensitive nose. Even my daughter's diapers send me reeling at times. But everyone else on the train seemed to treat this man like an offense to their existence. I tried to make eye contact at some point, to smile. I even asked my son to be sure to say hi to his friend if he caught his eye. Unfortunately, the opportunity passed. I did make duah for him, and others. The simple fact is, this man has the same beautiful seeds of greatness that Allah planted in each of us. For whatever the reason, he's just not in the same place as I and many others are. But what right have we to overlook another creation of Allah?

And I'll gladly stand up, next to you, and defend her still today! There ain't no doubt I love this land!

So back to my car where I've just finished hearing these awesome lyrics...and all I can think is, what does that mean, "I'll gladly stand up....and defend her still today"? Did I gladly stand up on that metro and engage this brother in conversation? Did I make an actual effort to squarely place him as a human on that train? I did ensure that my son and I talked about the greatness in each of us, but was it enough? And when I see an injustice in the street, do I just walk on by? What exactly will I gladly stand up next to you and defend?

God Bless the USA!

The beauty of this land, is that we are free to create, establish, innovate and renew ourselves, just as Allah (SWT) created us to. For almost two months now I have been thinking about ways to engage with an organization for the homeless in my community to coordinate volunteer "pantry" days at my masjid. Two weeks ago, I encountered two young sisters who had started a non-profit that serves both international and local communities of homeless women and orphans. Where else in the world could I expect that my idea will come into fruition and these two women establish and operate their organization? God Bless the USA!

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving. For me, it's not a single day celebration...I give thanks at least 5 times a day in prayer, and as often as I can to those around me who make a difference (personally or otherwise). No matter what I do, however, it will never feel like enough...but at least it's something.

What will you gladly stand up to defend today?


(Originally written November 24, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment