Followers

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Whose Hard Knocks?

Yesterday as I rode home on metro I met a man who happens to be homeless. He'd been on the streets for 2 months and was so irritated that a mouse had gotten into his cart and eaten through his strawberry cereal bar. I gave him water and we chatted until he got off. He's not interested in returning to the shelters as people steal everything you have when you're there...and when you don't have anything, what little you can carry means so much. It's freezing in DC...what will he do?

I came home yesterday reminded just how blessed I am to have a roof and modern comforts.

As I walked to my car today, I saw a family hanging out at the station, singing for money, obviously seeking shelter from the cold while they could. I couldn't help but think what they had planned after the station closes.

We walk about day in and day out, focused on our own problems and our own dramas, but do we ever stop and think just how insignificant those really are in the grand scheme of things? One should never belittle his/her emotions, but perspective goes a long way.

May we all find ourselves reflective for those who are less fortunate, have harder knocks, and may be in the greatest need of our duah. There is strife all over the world...may we bear it in mind.

(written December 16, 2010)

1 comment:

  1. You're right we would be much happier if we count our blessings, and thank god for what we have

    ReplyDelete